This one-day taster course gives you a hands-on introduction to the wonderful world of fused glass. During this relaxed workshop you will learn how to cut and layer glass to make your own coaster, sun- catcher, trinket dish, lattice bowl and draped form in a variety of opal and transparent glass.
Over fresh brewed coffee and a delicious buffet lunch explore the basics of fused glass with lots of samples to inspire and inform. Small group size (maximum of 8 participants) ensures everyone gets expert guidance and support when they need it. Rachel is an experienced and enthusiastic tutor who will help bring your ideas to life!
• Learn about a variety of accessory glass products and how to use them.
• How to cut and shape glass safely and accurately.
• Health and Safety in the studio.
• How to use fibre products and the basics of kiln carving.
• Using frit, stringers and inclusions for added detail.
• Using slump and drape moulds to create 3D forms.
• Kiln preparation and firing schedules.
• Using kiln temperature to give different effects.
• Technical notes on the workshop to take home.
A delicious cold buffet lunch is included along with tea and coffee throughout the day.
No previous experience required, all tuition, tools and safety equipment will be provided, please wear closed toed shoes.
After the workshop your pieces will be fired and available for collection from the studio by appointment. Work can be posted out- additional charges will apply.
Information on your workshop will be emailed to you one week before the workshop date.
Class size – minimum 4, maximum 8 people.
Classes have a minimum size of 4 people and a maximum of 8. Where the minimum class size is not achieved Rachel Bower reserves the right to cancel the class. 24 hours notice will be given by email. In this event an alternative class will be offered or a full refund.
In the event that you need to cancel a booking the following charges will apply:
for cancellations up to 4 weeks before the course a 90% refund will be offered.
between 4 weeks and 1 week before the start of the course a 50% refund will be offered.
less than 1 week before the course no refund will be available.
In the event of unforeseen circumstances preventing the advertised class from running Rachel Bower reserves the right to offer a full refund, or an alternative course, venue or date. All reasonable steps will be taken to communicate the information to course participants.
This class takes place at:
- Nest 30, Reform Street, Blairgowrie PH10 6BD
- Free parking is available on a Sunday in the carpark opposite the library on Croft Street, PH10 6AN. From the car park head up Leslie Street to the junction with Reform Street and turn right. ‘Nest’ is the second building on the right.
- The venue is about 1.5 hours drive from Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen.