This workshop takes glass fusing to the next level- slumping glass into moulds to create beautiful and functional pieces.
Over fresh coffee and a delicious buffet lunch we will look at a variety of examples to see what effects can be achieved in the kiln and learn how to use a circle cutter to confidently cut your own glass rounds. There will be a variety of moulds available during the day which will enable you to create either a round bowl or rectangular platter with 2 side dishes.
Small group size (maximum of 8 participants) ensures everyone gets support as they need it and Rachel’s expert guidance is on hand to ensure your ideas can flourish.
• Learn about a variety of accessory glass products and how to use them.
• How to cut and shape glass safely and accurately.
• How to use fibre products and the basics of kiln carving.
• Using refractory plaster to add surface texture to glass.
• How to make your own moulds.
• Using frit, stringers and inclusions for added detail.
• Using slump and drape moulds to create 3D forms.
• Kiln preparation and firing schedules.
• Health and Safety in the studio.
• Using kiln temperature to give different effects.
• Technical notes on the workshop to take home.
This is an intermediate workshop and it is advisable to have completed an ‘Introduction to fused glass’ workshop or to have had some prior experience of fused glass. If unsure, please contact Rachel to discuss.
All tuition, tools and safety equipment will be provided, please wear closed toed shoes. All workshops will involve a range of Bullseye Glass products.
After the workshop your pieces will be fired and available for collection from the studio by appointment. Work can be posted out- additional charges will apply.
Information on your workshop will be emailed to you one week before the workshop date.
Class size – minimum 4, maximum 8 people.
Classes have a minimum size of 4 people and a maximum of 8. Where the minimum class size is not achieved Rachel Bower reserves the right to cancel the class. 24 hours notice will be given by email. In this event an alternative class will be offered or a full refund.
In the event that you need to cancel a booking the following charges will apply:
for cancellations up to 4 weeks before the course a 90% refund will be offered.
between 4 weeks and 1 week before the start of the course a 50% refund will be offered.
less than 1 week before the course no refund will be available.
In the event of unforeseen circumstances preventing the advertised class from running Rachel Bower reserves the right to offer a full refund, or an alternative course, venue or date. All reasonable steps will be taken to communicate the information to course participants.
This class takes place at:
• Nest, 30 Reform Street, Blairgowrie PH10 6BD
• Free parking is available on a Sunday in the carpark opposite the library on Croft Street, PH10 6AN. From the car park head up Leslie Street to the junction with Reform Street and turn right. ‘Nest’ is the second building on the right.
• Blairgowrie is approximately a 1.5 hour drive from Edinburgh and Glasgow.